Monday, November 29, 2010

I married myself to a title.
Everything was bliss until a few days ago when a feeling came over me.
It occurred to me that my title may have titled someone else's something.
Suspiciously, I googled it.

As I did this, I discovered various forms of it used to title
poems by dead poets, forgotten films from the sixties
and even to title a chapter from a manual on PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor,
a code embedded into HTML for web development.

Now I'm picturing my beloved title on this B&W movie poster
with young British actors resembling John, Paul and Ringo
and I'm not sure I can sleep with this playing in my head. I mean,
they look rather good together. That is, from a sixties aesthetical standpoint...

Knowing this, I am contemplating divorce, though I keep remembering
the quirky charms that attracted me in the first place.
Can I still continue this relationship knowing the history? The baggage?
I was committed to this. I thought we were perfect for each other.

2 comments:

  1. Remember that language is alive. You don't want to marry a corpse, right? Take the baggage. We're not in the Garden of Eden. I'm only saying .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, mairead, thats great.
    after all, you wrote it yourself, first. before you married it. in a sense then, its different than those other forms. its not dead, maybe but reincarnated? through your mind and your hand.

    ReplyDelete