Thursday, December 2, 2010

1000 pushups and counting (feedback)

We didn't get to get into it, but if there are any ideas, suggestions, concerns, questions, recommendations on how to push/enhance/challenge/twist/shout what I'm doing within this forum project, please let me know. I'm Open Open Open to your opinions.

Thanks,
Keith

Socorro city reps among first to get publicly funded driveways, some residents irked
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/el-paso-times/TKSLKQNQDCS42CU5O#c5

Black Friday: El Pasoans line up for first dibs on big deals
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/el-paso-times/TMKUJMGEUCKR128F9#c1

Schools in Ciudad Juarez targeted by extortionists
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/el-paso-times/THI81E0GFQOSMAL14#c10

El Paso named safest US city
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/el-paso-times/TJCNBTK6CQ1D3PA4J#c9

Governor Perry supports sending troops to Mexico, if invitation is extended
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/el-paso-times/TPG0AJL4LSH3GJE7J#c6

New Socorro recall effort: Mayor, Rep. Varela latest targets
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/el-paso-times/TD5AIV4GV95C674HG#c4

Panel: Area near Franklin Mts not 'open space,' label to protect land is denied
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/el-paso-times/T5F8SPKT3NV5RNNEU#c1

Sun City salutes: Postcards promote El Paso experience
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/el-paso-times/TU0MFCH7EBIKFLM6V#c10

City challenges vote on partner benefits
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/el-paso-times/T9G12DPS4T3VS618O#c6

Expert: Younger drug cartel hit men to blame for more Mexico massacres
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/el-paso-times/T3J7BIKA4VKVURGMF/p4#c81

Election notes: 2 precincts on West Side pushed Margo past Moody
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/el-paso-times/TRBN2337TM7GOALD1#c4

Young Miners still learning
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/el-paso-times/TDTD4QF6V75BPTAT1#c1

Yes, the GOP wave turned out to be a tsunami in Texas
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/el-paso-times/T1DC86UOJFM1V17U6#c21

El Paso Zoo wolf part of effort to revitalize species
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/el-paso-times/THGL3KA1V90EN9M1L#c1

As 'Don Chuy,' Border Patrol agent risked life, reputation
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/el-paso-times/T5VU654C7OA3V0TBD/p3#c44

Texas needs a new governor: Bill White
http://www.topix.net/forum/state/tx/TU8AIOQ1GHLPAE27E/p5#c98

Safe streets: Watch out for costumed kids tonight
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/el-paso-times/TKN6DJ85UBRC0HIUL#c1

Juarez maquiladora operators unsure whether shooting will have effect on industry
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/el-paso-times/T388GRNNDI9E42412/p2#c33

Bullying video sparks media storm
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/el-paso-times/TMF8013B252VBTGQE/p12#c291

Fighting exclusion: Bilingual ed students outperform peers after 6th grade
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/el-paso-times/TSQOE2918BTAHELU7#c9

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading some of your responses. What I think would strengthen the project is if your 'voice' in response was absolutely consistent i.e. that people got to 'know' (or at least think they know) who '1000 pushups' actually is. To help you create this fictional character into someone who feels more 'real', I'd do what many novellists do i.e. write a profile for who 'Mr 1000 push-ups' actually is. This will help you to define exactly what he would say in any given circumstance. For example, you could use the following questions to build his profile:
    - Name
    - Age
    - Star sign
    - Physical appearance
    - Quirks
    - Occupation
    - Family background
    - Schooling
    - Disposition
    - Lives
    - Clothes liked
    - Hobbies / interests
    - Likes
    - Dislikes
    - Virtues
    - Faults
    - Previous romantic history
    By answering these, you'd have a basis for what Mr 1000 pushups would say/think about any given issue...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd also think about extending the project to have Mr 1000 pushups respond to online personal ads...oooh, wouldn't that be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, Odette. Yeah, there's actually a profile section that users can fill out. I wasn't sure how anonymous I wanted to be, but I like the idea of 1000pushups being a fictional character. Your idea is making me think of developing other participants, too. Hmmmm....

    Personal ads idea is great, as well. Yes! I like the thought of making someone participate, intervening a poem/thought into their life when they are not looking for it. Plus, sounds like that may free me up with the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this demonstration of living writing, also working writing. Poetry just sounds like a language to me here: this is the voice you use when contributing to discussion in this context. It is a more supple fluid voice than the sentenced contributions which seem heavy and oversaturated by comparison. But the poems are at home in their context here. It might be interesting to play with context and see if these goldfish can live outside their bowl. Are they really like goldfish, by the time they swim round again they have forgotten they swam round before? My daughter tells me that it's important to take a dead fish out of the bowl immediately as if you leave it in the fish that are left discover the death again and again and again and again ...

    ReplyDelete